VOLUNTEER S NEEDED
The next Volunteer Training Course is being offered at the Dr. Bob Kemp Hospice October – November 2017
Consider taking part in this training if you:
- Want to work with individuals and families from the Hamilton Region who are receiving end-of-life care
- Are committed to the principles of access, equity and inclusion
- Are a compassionate, empathic and open person
- Can listen without judgment and support someone without trying to fix them
- Believe in the value of mutual and peer support (bereaved people supporting each other)
- Want to be a part of a caring and responsible community organization
- Have the time, energy and capacity to make this commitment
- Have experienced a personal loss yourself
Dr. Bob Kemp Hospice is a volunteer-based, palliative and bereavement support organization that offers programs and services, based on the peer/mutual support model. Grief affects each of us all in unique ways and so we are especially interested in recruiting volunteers who reflect the diversity of life and cultural experiences of people from across the Hamilton region.
We are looking for volunteers to train as:
Residential Hospice Volunteers (resident care, kitchen support, special events)
Bereavement Support Volunteers (1:1 peer facilitators and bereavement support group facilitators)
For more information or to apply to become a volunteer please contact Cherilyn Kislosky-McLellan, Manager of Volunteer Programs, at 905-387-2448 ext. 2209 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org. The volunteer application and additional information can be found online at http://kemphospice.org/volunteer.
"Time goes on, and your life is still there, and you have to live it. After a while you remember the good things more often than the bad. Then, gradually, the empty silent parts of you fill up with the sounds of talking and laughter again, and the jagged edges of sadness are softened by memories"
- Lois Lowry, A Summer to Die
The goals of the training are to provide volunteers with:
- A solid understanding of the organizational culture, values, beliefs and mandate of Dr. Bob Kemp Hospice and the context of our work.
- An opportunity to reflect on and build awareness of their own grief experience as well as the theory of grief, loss and bereavement.
- The capacity to create safety and accessibility for the people we work with and to provide sensitive and appropriate cross-cultural bereavement support.
- Skill building in the areas of one-to-one and group support.
Dates and Times
Thursday October 12, 2017 5:45pm-9:00pm
Saturday October 14, 2017 9:00am-5:00pm
Thursday October 19, 2017 5:45pm-9:00pm
Saturday October 21, 2017 9:00am-5:00pm
Tuesday October 24, 2017 5:45pm-9:00pm
Thursday October 26, 2017 5:45pm-9:00pm
Tuesday October 31, 2017 5:45pm-9:00pm
Thursday November 2, 2017 5:45pm-9:00pm
Tuesday November 7, 2017 5:45pm-9:00pm
Thursday November 9, 2017 5:45pm-9:00pm
Attendance at all sessions is mandatory