Mathstronauts is proud to launch our third “hackathon” called “STEM Hacks” – a fun one-day event for youth in grades 5 to 8 are challenged to solve STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) related problems in teams. Through this event, our team hopes to capture an early interest in STEM and inspire youth through innovation and creativity. We are looking for McMaster University students who are interested in being a Mentor for the event!
Primary tasks will include:
- Setting up for the event (eg. organizing classrooms for the event, setting up banners and signage, preparing IT, organizing food, preparing for judging, etc.)
- Helping to ensure that the event runs smoothly, taking on tasks as they come, problem solving and doing team work throughout!
- Helping to create a positive and welcoming learning environment for participants; engaging with participants throughout, ensuring they are well oriented and enjoying the competition.
- Ensuring a smooth execution of the judging period and Closing Ceremony.
- Helping to clean up after the event and ensuring that the space being used is left as we found it.
This event is an excellent opportunity for university students who are interested in being part of a top-quality event that engages nearly 200 middle school students from all over Southern Ontario. If you love teaching and working with children, have great teamwork and leadership skills, and are passionate about STEM, this is an amazing opportunity for you!
Volunteers will have access to a full lunch and unlimited snacks throughout the event!
Dates and Times
TIME: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM (select a shift when you sign up online - full day and half day shifts available)
LOCATION: McMaster University
TRAINING: Must attend a mandatory information session that will take place at the beginning of January 2018. More information will be provided closer to the event date.DATE of Event: January 28th, 2017
Please register online by visiting www.stemhacks.net (scroll down to the Mentor/Volunteer section and click on "Become a Volunteer"). Once you register, our team will touch base to let you know when our mandatory information session will take place, likely to take place in the second week of January 2018.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: December 30, 2017
Thank you for your interest! We look forward to having you at STEM Hacks 2018!