The Friends of the Aviary is a wonderfully dedicated volunteer group, drawn from all walks of life, devoted to the preservation and advancement of the Aviary and the care of its birds.
We are located in the Westdale area of Hamilton, Ontario, near McMaster University. We strive to be a source of pride for the City of Hamilton and a valuable source of education for anyone who walks through our doors.
As the volunteer coordinator, you will be responsible for the Volunteer Management Program. This position is essential for the health of the aviary as an organization and the birds.
- Working with the board of directors to develop a Volunteer Management Program.
- Recruiting new volunteers through community outreach efforts
- Interviewing potential candidates
- Create appropriate volunteer positions and role descriptions based on the needs of the aviary
- Ensuring that appropriate documentation is filled out by new volunteers (information form, emergency contact form, among others which will be supplied)
- Organizing and clearly communicating a screening process (including risk assessment) for new volunteers, which will be consistently applied to all volunteers without bias to ensure they are appropriately matched to the position
- To provide the Board of Directors with periodic updates on the status of the Volunteer Management Program
- Helping with volunteer recruitment and recognition in conjunction with other volunteers/committees
- Develop a recognition program to reward volunteer efforts
- Keeping all volunteer personal information with the strictest confidentiality
- Updating the volunteer database on a consistent basis
- Organize volunteer appreciation events in conjunction with the Special Events committee
- Time commitment: 5 to 6 hours/week
- Good organizational and administrative skills
- Experience managing or scheduling volunteers/employees an asset
- Strong interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- Ability to maintain records in a confidential manner
If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter describing why you would be suitable for this position. Please include “Volunteer Coordinator Application” in the subject line.
Application deadline: December 1st, 2017