Do you have experience working behind the scenes of a theatrical event? Do you have a passion for organizing and directing people to accomplish a common goal? Do you get excited at the idea of solving problems in the moment and seeing a performance go off without a hitch? Our team at Hamilton Youth Poets needs YOU to help us organize our upcoming annual poetry festival!
- Organize and oversee volunteers to help facilitate back-of-house logistics for all festival events, especially Finals Night
- Attend all big events during the festival to act as Stage Manager (1 week during May 2018)
- Ensure that poets, feature artists, and any other performers are present, ready, and have everything they need for their set/workshop/event
- Keep stage logistics running on time and in-line with festival schedule
- Organize school groups to ensure everyone is performing at the correct time and ready in the wings before their performances
- “Put out fires” in the heat of the show to ensure a smooth running
- Work with the Festival Planning Committee to plan the festival
Some skills that a Stage Manager should have are:
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skill
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills
- Works well in a fast-paced environment with a diverse group of people
- An ability to work, collaborate, and communicate with a remote team
As a member of the Hamilton Youth Poets team, you are expected to:
- Uphold the core values of Hamilton Youth Poets and represent the organization in a professional manner
- Commit time (variable, 5-10 hours/month), with a relatively flexible schedule and remote work available, to completing tasks and working with the team
- Attend planning committee meetings (biweekly) for our annual and upcoming poetry festival, happening in May
- Attend events during the festival to act as support and fulfill your role with the organization (1 week in May of 2018)
- Be able to commit to the position for at least 1 year
To apply to be our Stage Manager, please send a cover letter and/or resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, please send them to email@example.com
Now in our third year, Hamilton Youth Poets (home of Louder Than A Bomb Canada) creates a culture that transforms the lives of young people and their communities by bringing together participants through writing, publication, and performance education for civic discourse, mental health and community celebration. HYP's programs are all in service of the four primary goals of the organization, which reflect a commitment to helping young people to develop as civilly-engaged artists. These goals guide program development and inform benchmarks by which HYPS evaluates its working performance:
- Galvanize civilly-engaged and culturally-literate citizens.
- Deliver tools for young people to craft and share stories.
- Invigorate educational spaces.
- Create pathways for emerging artists.
We believe in putting the art, culture and tools of the telling of stories into the hands of young citizens. We are a group of fun and ambitious individuals and we’re looking for new volunteers to join the team.
Dates and Times
* Start: As soon as possible
* End: End of May 2018, or ongoing after festival if you are willing and able
* Full-time during festival (1 week middle of May 2018)