Do you know how much a bus ad costs and how to buy one? Do you notice and critique public advertising everywhere you go? Are you a whiz at writing press releases? Our team at Hamilton Youth Poets needs YOU to help us advertise in our community! As our Public Relations Coordinator, you can expect to:
- Liaise between HYP and a variety of agencies and organizations within Hamilton to advertise upcoming events
- Write press releases to advertise upcoming slams, workshops, and other events
- Attend and/or participate in special events and promotions
- Serve as spokesperson for the organization at meetings and special media events
- Developing and implementing all outreach and marketing activities, campaigns, and strategies to promote HYP through a combination of personal contacts, brochures, public presentations, special events, etc.
- Work with the Online Outreach Coordinator for all online advertising for our organization
- Help to develop and implement an annual outreach plan that includes promotional and educational strategies
- Performs and supervises all communication, outreach, marketing, public relations, and media duties relating to HYP as required
Some skills that an Public Relations Coordinator should have are:
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong writing and editorial abilities, including familiarity with online communication and software (web-design sites - minimal to no coding knowledge required)
- An understanding of public advertising in Hamilton or a similar community/city setting
- An ability to work, collaborate, and communicate with a remote team
As a member of the Hamilton Youth Poets team, you are expected to:
- Uphold the core values of Hamilton Youth Poets and represent the organization in a professional manner
- Commit time (variable, 10-15 hours/month), with a relatively flexible schedule and remote work available, to completing tasks and working with the team
- Attend planning committee meetings (biweekly) for our annual and upcoming poetry festival, happening in May
- Attend events during the festival to act as support and fulfill your role with the organization (1 week in May of 2018)
- Be able to commit to the position for at least 1 year
To apply to be our Public Relations Coordinator, please send a cover letter and/or resume to email@example.com
If you have any questions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Now in our third year, Hamilton Youth Poets (home of Louder Than A Bomb Canada) creates a culture that transforms the lives of young people and their communities by bringing together participants through writing, publication, and performance education for civic discourse, mental health and community celebration. HYP's programs are all in service of the four primary goals of the organization, which reflect a commitment to helping young people to develop as civilly-engaged artists. These goals guide program development and inform benchmarks by which HYPS evaluates its working performance:
- Galvanize civilly-engaged and culturally-literate citizens.
- Deliver tools for young people to craft and share stories.
- Invigorate educational spaces.
- Create pathways for emerging artists.
We believe in putting the art, culture and tools of the telling of stories into the hands of young citizens. We are a group of fun and ambitious individuals and we’re looking for new volunteers to join the team.
Dates and Times
* Start: As soon as possible
* End: variable, preferably ongoing or after July 2018