Ronald McDonald House Charities South Central Ontario provides a home away from home for families of children who are seriously ill and being treated at nearby hospitals.
The Happy Wheels Hospitality Cart program, located at McMaster Children's Hospital, is an extension of the services provided at the House, reaching families who may be unable to leave their child’s side.
Volunteers take the cart around various wards in the hospital to offer a hot or cold drink, light snack or activities to families in the patient rooms. Volunteers create an atmosphere of warmth and support by serving and interacting with families. Volunteers will maintain tidiness and cleanliness within the Happy Wheels room.
- Make a difference to families with a seriously ill child
- Build career based skills and self-confidence
- Develop communication & interpersonal skills
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Letters of reference may be provided after one full year of volunteer service
Dates and Times
Volunteers are asked to commit to a set shift every week or every other week. Volunteer shifts are available for varying days/times. Each shift is 2.5 hours long.
* 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
* 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.