Main Objective: Work alongside Food Services Staff to ensure daily meals are prepared and served while maintaining a clean environment.
Responsibilities of Kitchen Assistant volunteer position may include:
- Assist with meal preparation, including a variety of tasks such as; chopping, mixing, baking, cleaning etc.
- Welcome and engage guests, relay menu items, receive dinner orders and serve meal (table service or serving counter)
- Assist staff with maintaining food inventories, organizing pantries, cupboards, fridge etc.
- Receive in kind food donations
- Clean any dishes in dish area tidy and put away any clean trays, pans, dishes etc.
- Follow kitchen rules to ensure proper hygiene (e.g. Hand washing rules)
- Operate dish sanitation machine
- Clean dining room and kitchen, as appropriate, including wiping tables and mopping floors
- Ability to follow instructions from Food Services Staff regarding safe food handling
- Prepare dishes and cutlery for diners
Responsibilities of all volunteers at Mission Services include but are not limited to:
- Engage with clients, donors and stakeholders as an ambassador of Mission Services
- Adhere to Mission, Values and Faith Statement as in Volunteer Guidelines
- Treat people equally without discriminating or judging and report any violation of this to staff
- Promote a respectful and friendly environment
- Willingness to learn information about Mission Services programs and services
- Work safely, identify any health and safety concerns and report to supervisor, and follow Mission Services workplace health and safety policies and procedures at all times
- Demonstrate good judgment and the ability to consult and take direction from staff appropriately
- Be familiar with and abide by MSH Volunteer Engagement Policies and Guidelines
- Adhere to confidentiality agreement
- Communicate with program supervisor when not able to attend a shift
- Reliable and consistent commitment to a regular time slot (for an agreed upon period of time)
- Comply with Mission Services AODA Policies and Procedures
Dates and Times
Note: Placement, Time and Location to be determined in consultation with Volunteer Department and Program.