JOIN OUR FAMILY VOLUNTEER TEAM! What is FAMILY VOLUNTEERING? Family volunteering occurs when the members of a family volunteer together. Family volunteering can be done by the whole family together, by one parent and child, or with extended family, such as grandparents, aunts or uncles.
Families may choose from a variety of volunteer opportunities:
- Visiting with residents
- Assisting with recreational events
- Creating birthday cards for residents
- Decorating resident doorways for holidays
- All opportunities are geared towards families spending time together and having fun while volunteering.
Family Volunteering is a hands-on way to teach children the values of kindness, compassion, tolerance, community responsibility and good citizenship. All members can use their existing talents, learn new skills and have fun. Family volunteering offers volunteer opportunities to groups of people who may not otherwise be able to incorporate volunteering into their lives due to work and family schedules.
- Provides quality family time
- Strengthens family communication/ healthy family connections
- Enables parents to show role modelling
- Builds good memories and a sense of pride
- Shows a commitment to community involvement
- Introduces children to new aspects of life
- Promotes inter-generational exposure
- Develops values; teaches children about giving, helping others, empathy and respect
- Allows youth that are interested in volunteering, yet uncomfortable doing so alone, additional support