Purpose: To develop and facilitate English conversation practice for Newcomers
Volunteers will be matched with newcomer clients and assisting English skill development in an informal, judgement-free setting. Volunteers in this program should be curious about other cultures, empathetic, patient, and familiar with Canadian life. Practicing English may take place outside the client’s home, through visiting places such as a coffee shop or park.
Volunteers can expect to participate in tasks such as:
- Design and creation of resources for English language skills development and dialogue around key cultural topics such as:
- Life in Canada, cultural norms, adapting to Hamilton etc.
- Engage and encourage participants to practice conversational English
- Support parents to assist their children with their homework
- Facilitate games/activities that can help improve language skills
- Prepare activities/topics that are designed to prompt participants to speak up and gain confidence.
- Learn about clients cultures and lifestyles
- Act as a representation of Canada and Canadians
- Build new relationships
- Facilitate an easier transition to Canadian society for newcomers
- Watching clients English improve is rewarding
Dates and Times
The location dependent on client and volunteer.