To help prevent avoidable complications such as delirium, falls, use of restraints, and functional decline in frail and at risk patients in the Emergency Department (ED). This is a volunteer program based on the well established Hospital Elder Life Program at Hamilton Health Sciences, but uniquely modified for the ED environment. Volunteers will engage patients in proven interventions, including mobility, cognitive stimulation, meal assistance and comfort measures to prevent the onset of delirium and associated adverse outcomes.
Available at Hamilton General Hospital at 237 Barton Street East, Hamilton and at Juravinski Hospital at 711 Concession Street, Hamilton.
Responsibilities and Activities:
• Providing cognitive stimulation through orientation, conversation, and therapeutic activities
• Assisting with ambulation
• Encouraging and assisting with hydration and nutrition
• Addressing hearing impairments
• Optimizing the environment via lighting, organization, equipment adjustments, etc.
• Guiding patients through the ED
• Providing comfort measures like pillows, blankets, etc.
• Delivering education on delirium and falls prevention to patients and family
Skills Experience, Aptitudes:
• Highly reliable and shows responsibility and commitment to every shift
• Demonstrates exceptional autonomy and is able to work well independently
• Shows resilience to challenges and obstacles that may be encountered in an often fast paced and hectic work environment
• Possesses great interpersonal skills and is comfortable working directly with frail and older patients
• Shows flexibility and adaptability to changing protocols and guidelines as the program is developed
• Respectful of patients, staff members, other volunteers, guidelines and procedures
• Must be at least 18 years old and obtain health and security clearance at Hamilton Health Sciences
Orientation, Training, Support and Evaluation:
• Fire & Safety
• Code of Conduct
• Orientation to the Volunteer Resources Department
• Classroom orientation and training
• On site ED training
Dates and Times
* 3 hours per shift (minimum 3 hours)
* Shifts available 7 days a week
* Morning, Afternoon and Evening shifts available