The Community Connections program at the YMCA Hamilton connects newcomer professionals with mentors in the same profession. We are looking for an event management professional who can mentor a newcomer with a similar professional background.
The mentorship lasts 3 months, with mentors meeting in-person, or speaking with their mentee (by phone, Skype or via email) once per week. Mentee newcomers look for information about their sector, such as:
- Professional designations/licensing, and the process (where applicable);
- Relevant Associations;
- How to become more marketable in the Canadian labour market
- Increasing their professional network and connections
- Canadian workplace culture and employer expectations
- Feedback on their resume, cover letter, Linked In, etc. (ensure language/format is accurate and relevant)
- The time commitment to be a Mentor isn't big, but the rewards are!
- Mentoring is very rewarding work, as you can speak directly about your experience in the profession so that a newcomer can learn and plan their career path more effectively.
- Our newcomer mentees are so eager to learn about the profession, and appreciate your time more than you can imagine. Working with a mentor, mentees can learn in weeks what might have taken them years to uncover on their own!
- It's very powerful, and you can learn about a new culture and perspective, too.